Our Eye Doctors in Hot Springs, AR Offer Comprehensive Treatment for Eye Infections
Eye infections can happen to anyone, and at Holt Eye Clinic, our Hot Springs eye team has a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic tools to help people find relief and resolution from their eye infections fast.
Causes, Types & Symptoms of Eye Infections
Eyes are highly sensitive organs and can become infected by microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, or fungus. You may be at risk for an eye infection if you’ve sustained an eye injury, have chronic dry eye syndrome (keratoconjunctivitis sicca), have a suppressed immune system, or come in contact with someone who already has an eye infection such as pink eye (conjunctivitis), which can be highly contagious.
Eye infections from contacts can also occur, especially if the wearer has poor hand and contact lens hygiene or uses a swimming pool, sauna, or hot tub while wearing contacts.
Symptoms of eye allergies can include:
- Eye pain
- Red, itchy, irritated, and dry eyes
- Discharge from the eyes (may be clear or cloudy depending on the cause of the infection)
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Swollen eyes and swelling around the eyes
- Blurry and distorted vision
- Inability to wear contact lenses due to discomfort
The Importance of Eye Infection Treatment
If an eyelid or eye infection is left untreated, it can progress into more serious and potentially sight-threatening conditions such as corneal ulcers, tear duct blockage, and inner eye infection. Therefore, seeking eye infection treatment is essential.
Seeking help from our team can also help you avoid future infections since we can educate you on ways to prevent recurring eye infections:
- Maintain excellent hand hygiene and contact lens cleaning routine
- Use cool compresses to soothe eye itching and discomfort (and to discourage from rubbing your eyes, which you should never do!)
- Use strategies to avoid known environmental triggers and minimize the spread of infection (e.g., not sharing make-up or contact lens solution, keeping your child home if she is showing signs of an infection)
How to Prepare for an Eye Exam Visit with a Hot Springs Eye Doctor
Once you’ve scheduled an appointment to see a Hot Springs eye doctor at Holt Eye Clinic, we may suggest that you download and fill out some of our patient forms to expedite the process once you’re in one of our Arkansas clinics. Prepare to come to the clinic with a ride home, since we may be dilating your eyes if necessary.
Depending on your symptoms and history, our team may run a variety of tests in order to help us determine the underlying diagnosis of your infection. Based on this diagnosis, we can implement a treatment plan (e.g., medicated eye drops, oral medications, or ointments) and arrange any follow-up appointments with you before you go.
Is Someone In Your Family Struggling with Eye or Eyelid Infections?
At Holt Eye Clinic, our Hot springs eye doctor team features ophthalmologists and optometrists, meaning you and your loved ones will have the widest range of eye care services from experienced medical doctors and eye care professionals.